PRP Therapy Silver Spring, MD
When you are suffering from an injury and are hoping to find a natural, alternative treatment to surgery or medication, you may be looking into PRP therapy Silver Spring, MD has to offer. The team at Atlantis Medical Wellness Center understands that many people prefer natural alternatives when it comes to finding healing methods and we believe we have just the solution for you. PRP therapy, also known by its longer name, platelet-rich plasma therapy, is a type of treatment that involves using your body’s own natural healing properties injected into the point of pain to help you heal. If you want to see how your own blood can help you heal from an injury, call our office to discuss Silver Spring PRP therapy. We believe we may have the solution to your problem.
I have heard of PRP therapy for hair loss. Are there any other problems that PRP therapy can treat?
Yes. In fact, we use our PRP therapy in Silver Spring, Maryland to treat a variety of issues. It can be a helpful treatment if you suffer from any of the following:
- Knee osteoarthritis
- Tennis elbow
- Plantar fasciitis
- Rotator cuff injuries
While not an exhaustive list, these are just a few of the more common problems our PRP therapy in Silver Spring can help treat.
What can I expect during my appointment?
For someone who has never had a PRP injection before, you may not be aware of what the process is. However, we encourage our patients to view the process as simple as getting your blood drawn and getting a shot. The entire procedure usually takes no more than 40-45 minutes to complete. When we draw your blood, we place it in a centrifuge. This machine spins so fast that it can separate your blood into different layers. We want to get the plasma from your blood. Then, this plasma can be injected into the area that is causing you pain. When you use your body’s own growth factors, you may find that the healing process is quick and there is a smaller risk of side effects. That said, you may experience slight discomfort during your Silver Spring, MD PRP therapy.
If you would like to talk with us about our PRP therapy in Silver Spring, Maryland, please contact Atlantis Medical Wellness Center now.
How It Works
PRP therapy Silver Spring, MD, sometimes referred to as blood injection therapy, is becoming a more popular treatment option for people who suffer from musculoskeletal problems. These are issues that involve cartilage, connective tissues, joints, ligaments, muscles, and tendons. Platelet-rich plasma is blood plasma that has been taken from the patient and turned into PRP. PRP contains almost 10 times the number of platelets than blood plasma.
There are a variety of degenerative conditions and injuries that PRP therapy can be successful in treating. If you would like to learn more about this approach, call Atlantis Medical Wellness Center to speak with one of our PRP therapy doctors. In the meantime, the following is a brief overview of how the process works.
Preparing the Plasma
PRP therapy is a non-surgical process that uses the patient’s own platelets from their own blood. When the patient arrives at their appointment, blood will be withdrawn, similar to a normal blood test. The blood is then put into a centrifuge, which spins the sample at high speeds. This causes the platelets to separate from the red blood cells. The platelets and the white blood cells contain growth factors which heal injured tissues. The platelets are then injected into the site where the injury or area of pain is.
PRP Therapy Myths
Many patients have been successfully treated with PRP therapy in Silver Spring, MD, but there are still some common misconceptions that may make people hesitate to consider the treatment for this medical issue. The following are some myths we’ve heard at our practice:
- PRP treatments can be risky: The truth is that PRP therapy is one of the safest treatment options you can have. The treatment is minimally invasive. The treatments produce minimal side effects and are considered low risk. And there is no possibility for rejection of the plasma or disease transmission since it the patient’s own blood that is used for the procedure.
- It takes a long time for the PRP treatments to work: The opposite is true. Healing is actually hastened with PRP therapy, as is the recovery time. The whole process from the withdrawal of blood to the injection takes about an hour and there is no recovery or downtime required.
- I’m too young/I’m too old for PRP therapy: There is no age limit for a patient to undergo PRP therapy, although most of our patients tend to be over 18, have suffered painful injuries, or suffer from a degenerative musculoskeletal or soft tissue condition.
- PRP therapy requires multiple treatments: In most cases, a patient will need no more than three injections over the course of three weeks. Many patients see an improvement after their second injection.
To learn if PRP therapy in Silver Spring, MD is something you should consider, call Atlantis Medical Wellness Center today to schedule a consultation with one of our PRP therapy doctors.
How Does PRP Therapy in Silver Spring, MD for Work for Anti-Aging
PRP therapy is also good for restoring elasticity to the skin. PRP therapy for anti-aging can be used to regenerate damaged tissue, help the skin appear more youthful and refreshed, even out skin tone, and help eliminate scarring. Many of the patients at our clinic choose PRP therapy over Botox and fillers because it is all natural and coming from their own bodies. Since the platelets are coming directly from the patient’s blood, there is no concern of having any kind of allergic reaction.
PRP therapy for anti-aging provides the following results:
- Increases the skin’s elasticity and thickness
- Lessen the appearance of wrinkles
- Reduces the appearance of yellow skin
But Does It Really Work?
Some patients are skeptical that PRP therapy will really work on their wrinkles and any damaged skin they have. The good news is that there have been multiple studies that have concluded that PRP injections are successful in many cases Some of the different study results are:
- July 2016: Researchers worked with participants who had different types of facial wrinkles. Each participant was given on PRP injection and assessed before the injection and then eight weeks later. The study used a wrinkle severity rating scale and found that just one injection was “capable of rejuvenating the face and producing a significant correction of wrinkles especially the nasolabial folds,” with minimal to mild side effects.
- April 2017: In this study, participants received three injections of PRP over a three-month period, one injection per month. Both participants and researchers are fond that there was an improvement in the skin’s smoothness, elasticity, barrier function, and an overall improvement.
- June 2017: In this study, researchers noted a significant improvement in the overall vitality of participants’ skin, including the thickness of the epidermal and dermal layers, and plumpness of the skin from hydration.
- October 2017: The overall findings of this study concluded that PRP therapy increased blood vessels in the skin, increased the skin’s collagen density, and produced significant improvements in wrinkle, elasticity, and photoaging using the wrinkle severity rating scale.
- February 2018: Researchers in this study found that after just one PRP injection, the skin of participants had an increase of the thickness in the lower two layers of skin and that this increase was a result of elastic fibers and collagen regeneration brought by the platelets.
If you would like to learn more about PRP therapy in Silver Spring, MD, contact Atlantis Medical Wellness Center to schedule a consultation with a member of our medical team.