Male Sexual Dysfunction Therapy in Maryland, Virginia, & Washington, DC
It is all about sex. Unfortunately that is what marketing usually tells us. Healthy Sex is about healthy relationships and, well, yes…health! Libido and the ability to perform are barometers of health. There are two components to a satisfying sex life for men: the desire to have healthy sex, and the ability to perform. If you have challenges with either one or both, we can help and we can help from the perspective of your overall health. Dr. Gonzalez is trained in Sexual Medicine and is an expert in the management of sexual function issues. He understands it is not just about dumping testosterone in the system, or giving growth hormone. Rather it can sometimes be a simple balance of other hormones and micronutrients, effective counselling, looking for underlying medical issues and managing them aggressively in order to improve sexual function and minimize side effects.
If you have challenges with either one or both, we can help and we can help from the perspective of your overall health. Dr. Gonzalez is trained in Sexual Medicine and is an expert in the management of sexual function issues.
The Facts about Male Sexual Dysfunction Therapy
- Erectile dysfunction (E.D.) is common. According to the Massachusetts Male Aging Study, the rate of E.D. in the adult male population overall is 52%.
- A healthy sex drive is the foundation for sexual function. In other words, the brain and body must “want to do it”. You can’t have a healthy sex drive without balanced hormones—testosterone and estrogen in particular—or without addressing possible micronutrient issues.
- Penile sensitivity and proper vascular health are necessary for healthy sexual function. Penile sensitivity only occurs by virtue of an aroused brain sending the proper signals to the nerve cells in the penis. These signals won’t be sent without healthy levels of testosterone and a healthy vascular system.
- Balancing testosterone and estrogen resolves low sex drive and E.D. for many men. For those who continue to struggle with either one or both of these issues, even after hormones are balanced, we have a progression of treatment choices that can be used to restore function.
Methods of Treatment
- The first thing we do is check testosterone and estrogen levels via lab testing. If necessary, our doctors will balance these hormones to healthy levels using testosterone therapy. This step alone will resolve sexual dysfunction for many men.
- If balancing testosterone and estrogen isn’t enough, we lab test for prolactin. Prolactin makes women want to hug and nurture their children. In men, it kills the desire for sex. If your prolactin level is high, our doctors can prescribe a medication to reduce it.
- Growth hormone can be optimized to improve sexual function.
Platelet Rich Plasma Treatments otherwise known and the Priapus Shot or the P-Shot
- The P-Shot is a direct way to use your own body’s ability to heal and improve. Your blood is drawn and the Growth Factors and Stem Cells are concentrated and directly injected into the penis. Though most men cringe at the idea of a needle, this is surprisingly a painless procedure when done correctly by a trained and experienced clinician. These growth factors build new blood vessels and tissue in your penis over an 8 to 12 week period. This new growth allows for improved blood flow and function.
- We evaluate and provide a full metabolic evaluation as part of the P-Shot Procedure. We will make recommendations for supplements and diet that maximize improvements.
- If symptoms remain after hormones are balanced, our doctors may recommend trying PDE-5 inhibitors. While these medications do nothing for sex drive, they produce significant increases in nitric oxide in the blood, which can make getting and maintaining an erection possible. Brand names like Cialis, Viagra, and Levitra are available in generic form via troche. Troches simply dissolve in the mouth for quicker absorption.
- Any of the above can be mixed with other medications that can enhance arousal, thereby making them more effective. Our doctors can work with you to determine what to try, and in what order.
- PDE-5 inhibitors cause side effects in some men, and don’t work for others. Some men simply can’t take them due to other health conditions. If PDE-5 inhibitors aren’t a good option for you, we continue on.
If balancing hormones and PDE-5 inhibitors don’t work for you, our doctors may write you a prescription for one of the following:
- A topical vasodilator to increase blood flow.
- Injectable nutrients like L-Arginine. L-Arginine will increase the level of nitric oxide in the blood, which can restore functionality in some men by increasing blood flow to the penis. L-Arginine injections can be tried before, after, or in conjunction with any of the above.
- The hormone oxytocin. Oxytocin stimulates the desire for closeness and intimacy, which results in greater sexual desire, improved function, and better orgasms.
- Apomorphine on an as-need basis. Apomorphine stimulates dopamine in the brain to further stimulate the sexual response.
Penile Trimix Injections
If none of the above is effective with regard to erectile dysfunction, penile injections are the safety net. They work for almost everyone, and we have many clients who swear by them.
- If needed, our doctors will prescribe a mixture called Trimix for you. Trimix contains three ingredients that stimulate an erection when injected into the penis. Some men may need a mixture that contains a fourth ingredient.
- Penile injections are self-administered using a very small needle.
- With our doctors’ supervision, you are given instructions to titrate your dose until you find exactly the right amount that works for you.
- When done correctly, these injections do not hurt, and they work quickly.
ALL of this must be in coordination with proper diet and micronutrient support. Dr. Gonzalez is trained and is an expert in the field of medical nutrition and knows how to be specific to disease processes. He knows what works and what doesn’t. Do not fall for the online pseudo-experts or targeted over-hyped marketing for your sexual health advice.
The progression listed above alleviates sexual dysfunction in 99+% of our clients.
Sex is an important part of life. Our desire is to not only improve your desire but to improve your function and overall health.